Being harassed via Facebook by multiple people. What can I have done about it?

Hazelwood, MO |

I have my Facebook set to the strictest communication filtering possible and I have been receiving threatening messages by multiple people. I've gotten 3 so far over 2-3 months. I know NONE of them personally and have only heard of them through someone I used to be friends with. They are all her friends and one even admitted to her being the one saying these things about me/sending these people after me. I'm being told not to go to certain events anymore or I'll regret it and other things along those lines. Her and I stopped communicating in June. I don't know why she's continuing this. I have my Facebook on lockdown privacy wise. Blocked every single one of them. Have all of their names. What can I do about this? It feels like I'm being stalked almost and its getting out of hand.

1. You need to report these communications to facebook. It also sounds like this should be reported to the police. These threats are intimidating you to not live your life.

If this Answer was of assistance please mark it as "helpful." Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

2. Keep reporting every single incident to Facebook. Call the non-emergency number of your police department and report this, if they want, they can investigate and take action, and hire a local lawyer to send a cease and desist letter to every one of these individuals. That will probably get their attention.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

3. Facebook has policies to deal with this. Report them. You have to understand that Facebook probably gets several of these each day, so give it a bit of time for them to catch up with it.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.