Being fired in an at will state

Asked over 5 years ago - Frederick, MD

My wife got fired today because I (her husband) sent an email to corperate letting them know that there was a video on you tube that showed two employees popping a pimple in the kitchen of the restaurant while one of the owner operators of the chain watched and laughed. I only sent it to corperate out of good will because I was concerned that the video (that of coarse is no longer on you tube) could get them into trouble. SHe was fired and told that she was a discrace to the restaurant. However the manager and two employees stil have there jobs. I do know and understand that Maryland is an at wil state, and employees can be fired at any time, but how can someone bringing a true and valid complaint be legit?

1. Stephen A. Drazin

Answered . I beleive Mr. Brinkmeier to be correct.

Without a contract or a form a discrimination, from the fact pattern presented it does not appear that you have much, if any, recourse.

Nevertheless, I would suggest an in-person consultation with an attorney who primarily practices in employer/employee relations.

[Disclaimer: This writing is not meant to give precise legal advice; but, meant to address, in an overly brief mode, the issue(s) presented. Please do not act on this communiqué without the prior consultation with a competent Legal Practitioner who should be able to address the topic with reviewing any and all pertinent documentation at issue. This writing does not create an attorney-client relationship.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.]

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . An employee at will can be fired for no cause at all. Without a union or an employment contract you have to recourse.

Discrimination based on gender, age, race, religious beliefs etc.. may give rise to a different answer.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.