Being charged with forgery 2 for Internet scam

Tuscaloosa, AL |

I am being charged with forgery 2 and gave my first court date- arraignment , on feb 5. I received a check in the mail for a job I had gotten over the Internet with specific instructions to cash the check take out my weekly pay and send the rest to a supplier for merchandise- the check was returned to my bank as fraudulent and because I endorsed the check I'm being charged with forgery. This is my first offense and I'm 22. I'm so worried I'm going to jail for a long long time for something I didn't do.

You are the victim of a very common scam that preys on the greed of gullible people like you. A good attorney might be able to do a little research and try to convince the DA to drop or divert charges. So go hire an attorney.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting based on these comments without seeking appropriately licensed legal or professional advice. The author disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on his comments.

Richard Stephen Jaffe

Richard Stephen Jaffe

While it appears you are a victim of a scam, you are now charged with a felony. It is unclear to me if it is in state or federal court, and that makes a difference. But in any regard the govennment must prove beyond a resaonable doubt the required intent on your part in order to prove a crime. Even if it is, probation is a real probability, but first they have to prove a criminal act on your part.