Being charged with 120.00 and 240.26 however, I acted in self defense! Need help understanding my rights!

Asked over 1 year ago - Astoria, NY

I was treated with excessive force at an establishment by an employee . I was punched , wrestled & thrown onto the ground for just trying to walk into the place after hours ( didn't know and wasn't notified I couldn't walk back in ) . It was horrific and embarrassing . I couldn't physically escape and therefore bit the assaulter . A bunch of witnesses had to peel him off me after trying for several moments . I stood there expecting the police to help but I was a customer and presumed drunk ( didn't even have a drink ) and I had no marks at that point in time on my body , I was arrested and booked . I had a swollen eye days later and went to doc . Never pressed charges even though charges were made against me . Wanted this to go away . Was at court once , have to go back . Why & how to prove self defense

1. Marco Caviglia

9

2

Best Answer

Answered . Bar room cases are hard to prosecute, but less so if the other party is an employee of the bar. You should assist your attorney by trying to obtain proof you were not drunk (e.g. witnesses unless you had the foresight to get a blood test for BAC level or the officer may agree you did not appear intoxicated), and assemble any evidence to show that there was excessive force. Also, there are probably security tapes which need to be preserved, as bar owners like to have them erased very soon after if there is any risk of a lawsuit, which there might be in this case if you get an acquittal oroutright dismissal. So get a good defense attorney.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

10

2

Answered . Speak to your attorney or hire one. It is defensible but obviously not an easy one. Self-defense has to be disproven by the DA which is not easy for the DA to do.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

10

1

Answered . You have the right to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer to assist you.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

9

1

Answered . I won a self-defense case last year. You need to retain a good criminal defense lawyer. Will the witnesses testify for you?

5. John J. Carney

Pro

8

1

Answered . You should retain a good criminal lawyer to investigate the matter. It sounds like you were thrown out and then returned and the bouncer tried to remove you and a fight started. Your lawyer needs to know the facts, interview witnesses, subpoena the security tapes, hire a private investigator to talk to the bartender, bouncer, and patrons that might have witnessed the event. The motive for the assault and whether you were trespassing are not clear. You may have a defense of justification, commonly known as self-defense, but that depends on the facts and circumstances. If you were not asked to leave and it was simply past closing time I cannot see why the bouncer would attack you. You need witnesses to prove the justification, your word alone against the bouncer's is not strong enough as you are the one he poilce decided to charge. Please choose "best answer" if this was helpful.

6. Rixon Charles Rafter III

8

1

Answered . Hire a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. You will not be able to prove self defense in a criminal court on your own.