Being bullied and harassed 1 of the owners of my company at work?

Asked 7 months ago - Pittsburgh, PA

the owner and his wife are going through a divorce and she is bullying us making up lies to harass us and airing all her dirty laundry about her husband and daughter making us feel as if we no longer want to work for the company... for example... we filed a harassment complaint against her at the advice of her husband we had a phone conference with him for an hour on Monday and when she found out she threatened us and told us to deduct that time from our time card.. also an email telling us to stop talking to each other and that we are heading down a dangerous path. we just don't know what to do..she has told everyone in the office to stop talking to me which is making me feel even more isolated and bullied..FYI.. she is making the employees feel like the have to chose a side or risk losing our job. she also held a meeting to discuss something i supposedly did and had 3 other employees in there as her so called witnesses and held this while my supervisor was out of town... i felt so bullied

1. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

1

Answered . I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, I'm unsure what your question is. I'm assuming that the owner's wife is also an owner - otherwise, why would she still be there? Regardless, no matter how wrong it is, it is not illegal to bully you in the workplace (although assault, defamation, failure to pay wages, etc., are all still illegal). Deducting time from your card was inappropriate; you legally are required to be paid for that time as your male boss directed your to meet. If the wife has a problem with this, she can take it up with him. If you aren't paid, you can complain to the PA Bureau of Labor Law Compliance.

My best advice is get the heck out.

/Christopher E. Ezold/