Being a Parent and Applying for Social Security

Tacoma, WA |

I would like to apply for Social Security disability and I have two children in my care. I wanted to know what my rights are as a parent receiving benefits while caring for my children. Depression and anxiety run in my family and I have not been able to work in over a year. I have not yet applied but plan on doing so in the near future.

1. Good morning, and thank you for your post:

"I would like to apply for Social Security disability and I have two children in my care. I wanted to know what my rights are as a parent receiving benefits while caring for my children. Depression and anxiety run in my family and I have not been able to work in over a year. I have not yet applied but plan on doing so in the near future."

Your rights are not different than any other parent or non-parent to file a claim for Social Security Disability. Being able to caretake for your children, by itself, does not typically mean you can work a 40 hour work week in a simple but competitive work environment, and that is the general standard of whether we are disabled as that term is defined by the SSA.

So, again, you gain no additional rights just because you are a parent, in your claim for insurance benefits, but you are also not deprived of any rights simply because you are a parent.

Good luck with your mental health struggles and your claim.

2. Additionally if you are found to be entitled to benefits your household may receive additional money if you have dependent children.

3. If you qualify for ssdi you can get extra money for minor children.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.

Social security topics