Before I accept a plea can I change public defenders ask for a new one and if so will the plea still exspire if I do so

Chandler, AZ |

wanted to change lawyers but state came at me with a plea but I aint satified with the public defender I have can I still change lawyers and if I do will a plea still exspire if I do so

You will have to read the plea agreement. Some plea agreements have an expiration date.

Matthew L. Lopez, Esq.
Matthew Lopez Law, PLLC
(P) 602.980.1987
(F) 480.287.8887
7551 S. Willow Dr., Ste. 102
Tempe, AZ 85283

Though you are entitled to a free attorney, you are not entitled to the free attorney of your choice.

You can always ask for a new public defender, but it is unlikely that a judge will grant your request. You are not entitled to choose your public defender. There are some circumstances where a judge might appoint a different attorney to represent you, or the public defender's office might assign a different attorney to your case, but these situations are quite rare. The expiration of a plea deadline is entirely up to the prosecutor.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights