Bedbugs And Other City Code Violations Found In My Apartment, Now Landlord Is Threatening To File For Eviction For Dog!!!!

I have been in escrow court for 3 months prior to today for a 3mo long bedbug infestation and a leaky ceiling which resulted in mold and furniture damage. Landlord has BLATANTLY refused to make repairs however at first they only gave excuses as to why things weren't being repaired. I contacted Code Enforcement, Local Health Dept., and Dept of Agriculture (for illegal, unlicensed self-treating of pests) and they were cited on code violations this morning. This afternoon, I was left a 30-day notice to vacate. My dog bit a 12yo child 3 wks ago. The family did not pursue anything with animal control, and she was never even quarantined. Is this legal. Or is this some type of illegal diversion tactic. I am a college kid and this is my very first apartment, but this feels so wrong!!!

Columbus, OH -

Amber Michelle Reams

Amber Michelle Reams

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Cincinnati, OH

It sounds like you have a good defense to eviction in that this is a retaliation by the landlord for reporting him/her to the Health Department. Was having your dog part of the terms of your lease...did you pay a pet deposit or do you pay an extra rental fee for having a pet? If so, this makes your defense stronger. You should contact an attorney that handles landlord/tenant matters. Our office handles many landlord/tenant disputes and evictions, and we offer free one hour consultations.

The Matre Law Group, Co., LPA
11800 Conrey Rd., Suite 200
Cincinnati, Ohio 45249
(513) 671-6333

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Mokena, IL

You asked this question twice.