Become citizen without citizenship exam?

San Jose, CA |

Is it possible to naturalize without citizenship exam for those who are older that 65 years old and have a medical condition such as Schizophrenia ?

Please see the below link for your inquiry.
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ffe2a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ffe2a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

If my answer was helpful, please mark helpful or select as the best answer. It encourages me and other lawyers to answer your questions.

2. Yes, the person may file an N648 based on the medical condition. I would consult with an immigration attorney who has filed this form with the office that has jurisdiction over the N400 of the individual with the medical condition. This will be helpful as each office is sometimes particular about granting the N648. Also, this medical exception is not to be confused with the 50/20;55/15 rule concerning the English requirement. You should consult an attorney before this person applies

3. Yes. You may not need to take the test. However the exemption may require that you provide the USCIS with medical records indicating your condition and that it affects your ability to take the exam. You need to complete form N648 and file it with the N400.

4. I agree with Attorney Won. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney to proceed.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.