Basic living rights of tenant at will

Asked over 1 year ago - Marshfield, MA

I am renting a room on the top floor of a house. There are two other bedrooms, however they are not being rented at this time. There is no written agreement. When I first spoke with the woman on the first floor, she stated that I have a room and use of the bathroom and a kitchenette area. I have purchased items for standard living purposes. Such as a microwave, toaster oven and griddle for the kitchenette area. I also have my items in the bathroom. Again, I have been the only person on the second floor. The woman on the first floor has someone coming to visit for a brief time and staying in one of the spare rooms. She has started giving me a hard time about items that I have up here and threatened to kick me out. Trying to find out what rights I have. She is not the owner of the house.

1. Douglas Richard Lloyd Jr.

2

Answered . You should speak with the owner of the house, who I presume is your landlord, to find out what areas are covered by your tenancy. I don't see how a woman on the first floor of the house -- who doesn't own the house -- would have the power to kick you out. If she's not your landlord, I wouldn't take any threats she makes like that seriously. She just sounds like an annoyed co-tenant. Unfortunately there's no law against being a bad housemate.

In the future, be sure that your rental arrangements are ALWAYS memorialized in a written agreement to prevent exactly this sort of issue.

2. Adam Matthew Hopkins

Answered . I disagree with the previous answer. There are good times and good places for use of tenancies-at-will.

As for your "rights", it really depends on the extent of the agreement you had when you moved in. Yes, speak with your landlord. But, also know that with a tenancy-at-will, it is just that. A tenancy that can be severed at the will (albeit with some process and procedure) of either the landlord or tenant.

3. Ayanna Ormond McPhail

Answered . You live in a boarding house. If you pay your rent on a weekly basis, you are entitled to 7 day's notice of the landlord's intent to terminate the tenancy. If you pay your rent on a monthly basis, you are entitled to one month's notice. After the notice period is over and you continue to occupy and pay your rent, your landlord must file a complaint in court to start the eviction process.