Bargain and sale Deed With Covenant

Albany, NY |

I purchased a property in 2005 and just noticed it was not a Warranty Deed it is a Bargain and Sale with Covenant, what does this mean?

I agree with Mr. Gallo. Another way of putting it is that, unlike a "Warranty Deed", the grantor is not insuring title is good to the best of his knowledge in an absolute sense, he's only saying HE didn't do anything HIMSELF to impair good title (like convey it to someone else or use it as collateral in an unrecorded mortgage or deed). It only covers the Grantor's OWN acts.

In this day and age, title insurance is a much more secure and economical way of judging good title than the form of the deed or your own lawyer's or title searcher's opinion about what's good title. For a modest fee, you also get attorneys to defend the title if there are adverse claims, instead of having to go after a grantor, who may be long gone or "judgment proof" (no assets) and where you have to pay for the costs of prosecution or defense of the title defects.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. This is a warranty extending only from the grantor and not to or on behalf if his or her predecessors.

3. It means the Grantor is not undertaking liability for predecessor acts, but only his/her own.

4. I agree with my colleagues. In addition, a Bargain and Sale Deed A bargain and sale deed only warrants against encumbrances expressly stated in the deed. The best way to protect your title would be to have a title insurance policy; however, it is important to have an attorney review the title policy and relevant abstract/title search to ensure that problems are addressed prior to issuance of the policy. Otherwise they could be excepted out of the policy's coverage.

NO LEGAL ADVICE: This response is not intended as legal advice nor should you consider it as such. It is intended only as general information with respect to a question that you have raised. You should not act upon this information without retaining professional legal counsel. Please keep in mind that merely contacting Bogin, Munns & Munns, P.A. cannot represent you until the firm knows there would not be a conflict of interest, and the firm determines that it is otherwise able to accept the engagement. Any information or documents sent prior to your executing an engagement letter and submission of a retainer deposit cannot be treated as protected by an attorney client-privilege and may be determined by a court to not constitute protected information of any nature.