Banned for shoplifting- trespassing?

Saint Paul, MN |

My friend (we'll call her jane) was caught shoplifting about 8 months ago at sephora. Over the passed 5 years jane acquired thousands of dollars of goods from sephora (both purchased and stolen). She is never going to shoplift again after the ordeal she went through, but she would really like to go back to sephora as a regular paying customer. The problem is that she is banned for life.

She called the LP officer a few months ago (because she thought that her ban was only 3 months, but it's for life). He told her to write a letter of apology and bring it to the manager, but it was out of the manager's hands- they would forward it to the "higher ups". He was nice about it, telling her everyone makes mistakes.

She understands that if she returns that she risks being arrested for trespassing

She understands that if she returns that she risks being arrested for trespassing and would rather just not go back than be arrested again. However there are a lot of people who go in and out of this store, and she is not going to cause any trouble/bring attention to herself. I told her to go when it's really busy, but she says that the LP officer will be there during those times. There is actually another sephora closer to her that she frequently shops at, but they do not have the particular brand that she needs (she is a professional ballerina and needs it for stage). She can (and does) shop online, but it's a pain to buy things of this nature without trying them.

1. I'm not sure what the question is, but it sounds like the best thing for her to do is write the apology, if the criminal charges have already been settled.

For a free consultation, call 612-217-0077. This information is general in nature. You should not rely on this information as legal advice, as each case is unique. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact us at your earliest convenience.

2. you have to get permission. It's a private store and could exclude your "friend" if they wish.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

3. If someone walked into your home and stole your property, would you invite them back in?

Whether she is allowed back or not is in the hands of thee store

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at http://www.minnesotaLawyers.com

Shoplifting topics