Banned for shoplifting- trespassing?

Asked about 1 year ago - Saint Paul, MN

My friend (we'll call her jane) was caught shoplifting about 8 months ago at sephora. Over the passed 5 years jane acquired thousands of dollars of goods from sephora (both purchased and stolen). She is never going to shoplift again after the ordeal she went through, but she would really like to go back to sephora as a regular paying customer. The problem is that she is banned for life.

She called the LP officer a few months ago (because she thought that her ban was only 3 months, but it's for life). He told her to write a letter of apology and bring it to the manager, but it was out of the manager's hands- they would forward it to the "higher ups". He was nice about it, telling her everyone makes mistakes.

She understands that if she returns that she risks being arrested for trespassing

She understands that if she returns that she risks being arrested for trespassing and would rather just not go back than be arrested again. However there are a lot of people who go in and out of this store, and she is not going to cause any trouble/bring attention to herself. I told her to go when it's really busy, but she says that the LP officer will be there during those times.

There is actually another sephora closer to her that she frequently shops at, but they do not have the particular brand that she needs (she is a professional ballerina and needs it for stage). She can (and does) shop online, but it's a pain to buy things of this nature without trying them.

1. Landon J Ascheman

Pro

2

Answered . I'm not sure what the question is, but it sounds like the best thing for her to do is write the apology, if the criminal charges have already been settled.

2. Maury Devereau Beaulier

1

Answered . If someone walked into your home and stole your property, would you invite them back in?

Whether she is allowed back or not is in the hands of thee store

3. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

Answered . you have to get permission. It's a private store and could exclude your "friend" if they wish.