Bankruptcy Problem. I was living to large for the money I was bringing in...? bankrupt 13 or debt consolidation?

Hyden, KY |
Filed under: Chapter 13 bankruptcy

I have no Secured Debt . After my expenses for a bankruptcy 13 I would have to pay out like 500 a month with my current job . total debt is about 25 to 30 grand . after the lawyer math mi bringing in 4500 a month . Thinking about getting a new job were i would make 10 more per hour . would consolidating debt be better ? cause i really don't want to give up all the extra money i would be making if i went with the 13 . and i really don't want to pay 500 a month for money i haven't seen nor own anything with . Also i have bad credit and cant get a vehicle to create secured debt so that i might have something to show for a 500 payment . Any suggestions . . .

You need to sit down with a bankruptcy attorney and review your details. I think you could do a chapter 7 based on your numbers. You should be able to finance a vehicle, regardless of your credit, you will just pay a higher interest rate. You are on the right track - if your numbers say you can afford $500 per month in a chapter 13, you might be better off buying a car with that payment, so you qualify for a 7, which is over in about 4 months.

I agree with Mr. Walton that you need to speak with a bankruptcy attorney about your situation. There are far too many variables that go into making the decision whether to file bankruptcy or not that need to be spoken about that cannot be taken into consideration here, that offering cogent advice about your situation is impossible, other than to go speak with someone local to you who can address your concerns in light of your situation. I do agree that anyone can buy a car regardless of credit if one is willing to pay a high enough interest rate.

I would not recommend a debt consolidation scheme outside of bankruptcy as they are expensive for what you get, notwithstanding the reforms imposed a couple years ago that did make them somewhat better, and a lot of folks who work with those agencies end up getting sued by their creditors despite making the payments the debt consolidators ask them to pay.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

Debt consolidation is not a solution to debt, it merely trades one debt for another. Debt consolidation is like putting one extra bilge pump on the Titanic, it may buy you some extra time, but the ship still sinks.

When considering how to deal with debt, it is important that you consider all of your bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy options. Debt consolidation can work in some situations, but it isn't always successful. On the flip side, there are reasons why Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 are not good options. You should contact a bankruptcy attorney who can discuss all of your options with you.

*** The foregoing information is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. It is important to consult with an attorney who can review documents and understand the specifics of your case. Nothing contained herein shall establish or be construed to establish an attorney-client relationship. THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT.