Bankruptcy Chapter 7 or 13

Asked over 1 year ago - Suitland, MD

Are there any bankruptcy attorneys in the DC or Maryland area that will allow you to pay the bankruptcy fees in two installments. I'm was out of work and don't know how much it will cost. Also, who offer after hours, like will take you at 5:30 p.m. Any attorneys you can refer me to would be great. Thx.

1. Daniel Mark Press

Pro

6

Answered . In a Chapter 7, all fees must be paid before the case is filed, but we certainly allow payments to be made over time as the work is done prior to filing. In Chapter 13, you can often pay a portion (or in some cases none) of the fee up front, and pay the rest through your plan. And many bankruptcy attorneys (ourselves included) accommodate clients work schedules, as the last thing you need when facing financial difficulties is to lose more time from work.

2. Diana Carolina Valle

3

Answered . My office will gladly take payments in two or more installments, but all fees must be paid prior to filing the petition as indicated in the other answer. The reason for requiring full payment is that your outstanding debt to your attorney could be discharged with your debt in a Chapter 7.

If your circumstances warrant the filing of a Chapter 13 then our office would offer more flexibility in payment of legal fees, as a Chapter 13 is similar to a payment plan vs. Chapter 7 where you pay nothing to your creditors.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . This area of the avvo site is really for answering legal questions and not for referrals. To find bankruptcy attorneys in your community, check out the "find a lawyer" search tool which will give you info on what other attorneys have endorsed the lawyer you are considering as well as providing a forum for client reviews. Hope this perspective helps!