Bankruptcy and Lawsuit

Davie, FL |

I am suing someone who may file for bankruptcy. If this person goes through with it, will he still need to answer my lawsuit or will it get thrown out?

1. He will need to answer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

2. If the you file suit against the person and they file for bankruptcy protection they may not have to answer the lawsuit. They can file a suggestion of bankruptcy in your lawsuit which will most likely stop the lawsuit until the bankruptcy is over or when you obtain relief from the bankruptcy stay. You have to ask the bankruptcy court for relief from stay before you can continue with the lawsuit.

I provide a free 15 minute telephone consult for security deposit claims and eviction defense. No attorney-client relationship is created by answering questions in this public forum. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship, you must contact me directly and sign a representation agreement. Answers are provided based on general ideas and an answer specific to your situation would require a review of all documents.

3. I agree with Mr. Chen. The bankruptcy proceeding will stay your case for sometime. Speak to a bankruptcy attorney in South Florida.

Sagi Shaked is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney. To schedule a free consultation, call (877) 529-0080 or (305) 937-0191. I am licensed in Florida, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or Florida law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only and do not create an attorney client relationship. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is different and fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

4. Section 362 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code imposes an automatic stay at the moment of the bankruptcy filing. So, if the bankruptcy is filed before you file the case or during the period in which the defendant is required to answer, the case will be stayed and there will be no obligation to answer. The majority of lawsuits such as yours are then discharged at the end of the bankruptcy. But, there are exceptions under sections 523 and 727 of the bankruptcy code, generally under the umbrella of conduct by the debtor that was intended to hinder, delay or defraud or other specific actions seen generally as fraud. My suggestion: have a litigation attorney review the facts of your case to apply these concepts. Meanwhile, here is a link to an article on bankruptcy basics: [Blue Link Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

5. If the you have sued someone who subsequently files for bankruptcy, they do not need to answer your complaint. Your lawsuit will be subject to the automatic stay pursuant to section 362 of the bankruptcy code. In order to procede with your suit is to get relief from the automatic stay by filing a motion with the bankruptcy court, which the court may or may not grant. Depending on the pre-bankruptcy behavior and relationship with this Debtor you may have a basis file an adversary against the Debtor under sections 532 or 727 of the bankruptcy code. Note, if you have not yet sued this person and they file for bankruptcy before you get a chance to file a complaint, you cannot sue them other than in the bankruptcy context mentioned above. You should speak to a bankruptcy attorney to determine what rights you may have in the bankruptcy context, there are plenty of great bankruptcy attorneys in the south Florida area.

6. If it is a legitimate bankruptcy and you are named as a potential creditor the lawsuit will be stayed until the bankruptcy court discharges the debt. Consider consulting a local attorney because there are certain circumstances where he will not be able to discharge the suit for instance if you are alleging fraud. Here is a list of debts that can't be discharged under chapter 7 of the bankruptcy code:

Taxes and tax liens
    Student loans
    Alimony and child support (domestic support obligations)
    Debts obtained through fraud, false pretenses or false representation
    Debts you failed to schedule in time to allow creditors to file proofs of claim (unscheduled debts)
    Debts for fraud while you were acting in a fiduciary capacity, or for embezzlement or larceny
    Debts for willful and malicious injury
    Debts for fines or penalties to governmental units
    Debts for judgments in wrongful death or personal injury lawsuits resulting from motor vehicle, vessel or aircraft accidents while you were intoxicated
    Condominium or cooperative association fees or assessments

7. If your case involves a personal injury claim and the other person has insurance coverage, you may be able to file for relief from the bankruptcy automatic stay to the extent of the insurance coverage that's available. It's recommended that you speak with an attorney to discuss your case.

Sued for debt topics