Bankruptcy 703 exemptions in CA. Can someone talk on the difference in what can and can't be exempted from personal injury $$?

Just doing some preliminary research. I have a personal injury award that I could possibly be collecting in the future. Just want to familiarize myself with the exemptability and issues in that regard. I may need my PI atty to structure the settlement a certain way or whatever. Would that help?

I'll get a lawyer if I proceed. I'm just wanting to know the basics.

For a simple personal injury award, you have an California exemption for personal injury CCP 703.140(b)(11)(D) A payment, not to exceed seventeen thousand four hundred twenty-five dollars ($17,425), on account of personal bodily injury, not including pain and suffering or compensation for actual pecuniary loss, of the debtor or an individual of whom the debtor is a dependent.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is, with all the exceptions what kind of damages ARE in fact exempt up to 17,425? In other words, what is protected up to that amount?

There are two sets of California exemptions available. Which set you choose will be dependent on the totality of your circumstances including the nature of your personal injury settlement, other assets you own, etc.

A good starting point is to consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. We have offices near you and offer a free consultation.

Best wishes,

Steve Doan, Esq -
Doan Law Firm

This information is provide for informational purposes only as a service to the public, and is not legal advice or a substitute for legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Your receipt or transmission of information hereof alone does not create an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality.

There is also the 704 exemptions, depending on what else you own will dictate which set (703 or 704s) will work best for you. Hire a local attorney to help you.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt