Bankruptcy 703 exemptions in CA. Can someone talk on the difference in what can and can't be exempted from personal injury $$?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Just doing some preliminary research. I have a personal injury award that I could possibly be collecting in the future. Just want to familiarize myself with the exemptability and issues in that regard. I may need my PI atty to structure the settlement a certain way or whatever. Would that help?

I'll get a lawyer if I proceed. I'm just wanting to know the basics.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Larry Dale Webb

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . For a simple personal injury award, you have an California exemption for personal injury CCP 703.140(b)(11)(D) A payment, not to exceed seventeen thousand four hundred twenty-five dollars ($17,425), on account of personal bodily injury, not including pain and suffering or compensation for actual pecuniary loss, of the debtor or an individual of whom the debtor is a dependent.

  2. Stephen Nathan Doan

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . There are two sets of California exemptions available. Which set you choose will be dependent on the totality of your circumstances including the nature of your personal injury settlement, other assets you own, etc.

    A good starting point is to consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. We have offices near you and offer a free consultation.

    Best wishes,

    Steve Doan, Esq -
    Doan Law Firm

    This information is provide for informational purposes only as a service to the public, and is not legal advice or... more
  3. Kathryn Ursula Tokarska

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . There is also the 704 exemptions, depending on what else you own will dictate which set (703 or 704s) will work best for you. Hire a local attorney to help you.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now