Bankrupcy

Fox Lake, IL |

having little to no money to live on how can I file for bankrupcy?

1. This is often a question Bankruptcy attorneys are often asked, and there are a variety of answers solutions that may or may not work for you:

* Borrow the funds,
    * Use a tax return,
    * Make installment payments to the attorney,
    * Stop making payments on other debts (credit cards, etc),
    * Have payments rolled into repayment plan/after filing (Chapter 13).

These may not be solutions for your particular situation, but they are solutions that I have seen used in practice. If you need any additional information, please feel free to contact my office.

*** Please be advised that any advice provided on this website does not establish an attorney client relationship and that our firm does not represent you in any matters until retained through a signed retention agreement. *** We recommended that you meet with an experienced attorney to review your case should you have any further questions.

2. If you have little money (e.g. poverty level), first check with your local legal aid office. Services vary widely, but some provide bankruptcy services, but more often provide a class.

I would suggest purchasing, or checking out from your library, How to File Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, (from Nolo Press), http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-file-for-chapter-7-bankruptcy-hfb.html

However, in general, there is an attorney for every budget. It really is "rare" that a person cannot afford an attorney.

3. Also, check with the bankruptcy court. Some jurisdictions have pro bono help.