Asked about 1 year ago - Fox Lake, IL

having little to no money to live on how can I file for bankrupcy?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Ian Bernicky

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is often a question Bankruptcy attorneys are often asked, and there are a variety of answers solutions that may or may not work for you:

    * Borrow the funds,
    * Use a tax return,
    * Make installment payments to the attorney,
    * Stop making payments on other debts (credit cards, etc),
    * Have payments rolled into repayment plan/after filing (Chapter 13).

    These may not be solutions for your particular situation, but they are solutions that I have seen used in practice. If you need any additional information, please feel free to contact my office.

    *** Please be advised that any advice provided on this website does not establish an attorney client relationship... more
  2. Matthew Scott Berkus

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have little money (e.g. poverty level), first check with your local legal aid office. Services vary widely, but some provide bankruptcy services, but more often provide a class.

    I would suggest purchasing, or checking out from your library, How to File Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, (from Nolo Press),

    However, in general, there is an attorney for every budget. It really is "rare" that a person cannot afford an attorney.

  3. Dheeraj Kumar Singhal

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Also, check with the bankruptcy court. Some jurisdictions have pro bono help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,904 answers this week

3,145 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,904 answers this week

3,145 attorneys answering