Bank change the wrong condo unit's lock

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My neighbor's unit was foreclosed, and the Bank through a realtor tried to change the lock. However, the guys who were trying to change lock mistakenly changed my unit. What can I do with these people? Can I ask them to pay for my new door?

Additional information

The lock guys damaged my door. I was told that the locksmiths complained to our Board member, who lived in the same building as me. The Board Member stated he did not want to get involved with it although he knew I was not in foreclosure.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joseph Younes

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If you can show the error was caused by the Realtor or the bank, you can sue either or both, along with the locksmith. Why not call the police and have them charged with trespass.

  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes, you can ask to be reimbursed for the damage.

  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Sue for property damage in small claims court

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,674 answers this week

3,022 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,674 answers this week

3,022 attorneys answering