Bank account with $800 available was frozen but a collector with a $14,000 judgement only took .26 cents. Why?

Asked over 1 year ago - Issaquah, WA

A third party debt collector won a default judgement against me in 2007 but didn't take any action until this past December (2012).

I found out my bank account was frozen after going in to deposit a check. The collector took .26 cents from my account that day and I later noticed they had also taken .26 cents the month before (I had $800 in my account).

Apparently my account was only frozen temporarily - possibly just for one day (the days they took .26 cents) because I've used my account since.

Why are they taking such a small amount and why doesn't the judgement show on my current credit reports (Equifax, TransUnion and Experian) even though there's record of the judgment in superior court? I got a notice in my PO Box for certified mail in November but never picked it up.

1. Stephen M Trezza

Pro

2

Answered . I'm not sure why but I would withdraw my money and bank somewhere else.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

2

Answered . You want an attorney to guess as to the cause of this without looking at the documents? I don't know whether I am very good at making a wild guess, but I would suggest that the source of the money in the account might be eligible for an exemption under either state or federal law. I am posting a link to a description of the exemptions for all 50 states so you can review them to see if I guessed correctly. Hope this perspective helps!

3. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

Answered . In 2011 the FDIC adopted a rule that when banks receive garnishment writs that they review their records to determine the source of the funds. It may well be, as alluded by my colleague, that the sources of the funds in the account are protected, such as social security, disability, veterans, unemployment and other protected sources.