Bad faith insurance claim denial - Renters insurance. File suit against Geico or the underwriter Assurant?

Asked about 1 year ago - Rock Hill, SC

We purchased our renters insurance through geico website. The policy has the Underwriter listed as American Bankers Insurance of Florida / Assurant. American bankers denied the claim and im going to file suit for bad faith. ( too long a story to list on here ) but im wanting to find out who is responsible, who do I now go after? Geico or American Bankers of Florida / Assurant? in Short, The adjuster with American Bankers stated when we applied, we failed to list a previous claim in another state some years ago, which I told her I have a copy of the Geico online application that clearly shows we DID list that information, she stated, "not with American Bankers you didnt". Yet she refuses to send me a copy of their application showing we didnt list that information.

1. Alan Jay Dion

Answered . If you do sue, you sue both companies. If the policy was sold on Geico's website, then American Bankers is either a subsidiary of Geico or it contracts with Geico to sell products on Geico's site, using Geico's reputation. I can see the advantage of the relationship with all the advertising that Geico does. Trial lawyer's rule of thumb: sue all possible parties and let the defendants sort it out.
    I hope you are not intending to do this yourself . An insurance bad faith case is not a case to be tackled, pro se.