Bad faith insurance claim denial - Renters insurance. File suit against Geico or the underwriter Assurant?

Rock Hill, SC |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

We purchased our renters insurance through geico website. The policy has the Underwriter listed as American Bankers Insurance of Florida / Assurant. American bankers denied the claim and im going to file suit for bad faith. ( too long a story to list on here ) but im wanting to find out who is responsible, who do I now go after? Geico or American Bankers of Florida / Assurant? in Short, The adjuster with American Bankers stated when we applied, we failed to list a previous claim in another state some years ago, which I told her I have a copy of the Geico online application that clearly shows we DID list that information, she stated, "not with American Bankers you didnt". Yet she refuses to send me a copy of their application showing we didnt list that information.

If you do sue, you sue both companies. If the policy was sold on Geico's website, then American Bankers is either a subsidiary of Geico or it contracts with Geico to sell products on Geico's site, using Geico's reputation. I can see the advantage of the relationship with all the advertising that Geico does. Trial lawyer's rule of thumb: sue all possible parties and let the defendants sort it out.
I hope you are not intending to do this yourself . An insurance bad faith case is not a case to be tackled, pro se.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice in a lawyer/client relationship. Misunderstanding of the answer or use of the answer for any illegal purpose is not the responsibility of the writer. The answer to any question in the Avvo website is constrained by the limited content of the question, an incomplete description of the facts underlying the question or a wrongful motivation for the question.

Luckily, I was refered to one of SC top 100 attorneys. He is handling this for me.Both Geico and American Bankers Insurance are pointing the fingers and neither can provide a copy of the online application I submitted through Geico. Plus they keep sending me conflicting information. American sent me a copy of their application which again, is information Geico gave them. They informed me both applications mirror the same information. Untrue - American Applications asks, as an example: Have you filed any claims in past 3 years, Geico asks about the past 7 years. Again, thats ONE example of MANY cinflicting questions, yet again, no one can provide a copy of the Geico Application. My attorney jumped on this one and is also having a hard time getting them to produce that information.