Skip to main content

Bad bak,4 surgeries,cant sit or stand more than 5 min. rated @ 72% dis. 44 yrs old,offer is $32,000 inpaments,VERY DEPRESSED.

Vacaville, CA |

Hav an attny,dont like what I am hearing,asked him repeatedly "what could settlement b"?He avoided the?,turns out he could have given me a fairly close est. So at this point I need better advice,Y cant they b honest(attny's).Sorry,My ? is,is this even close to reality for someone my age that made good money and can't work anymore.Also,I am not exagerrating on physical limits or pain,most of the time fighting back tears trying to smile.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


First meet with your attorney to discuss your frustration. If that does not work then consider changing attorneys. Remember that worker’s comp. is an administrative system that does not compensate for actual wage loss or pain and suffering.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


The offer is less important than the value. If you apply for Social Security, any increase in value for your anticipated future treatment will need to take Medicare into consideration. Your attorney may be afraid to tell you that your case is worth 75K or 750K because then you will want to go to Trial and reject a reasonable offer. You should discuss the matter with your Attorney and decide whether to keep or trade him. Just because you do not like his advice does not mean that it is bad. There can be multiple issues that you left out like Denial of Injury, Apportionment, 3rd Party recoveries. All could be highly relevant to case value, and only your Attorney knows all the angles.

We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.


I agree with George and would add that there are many other items going into this equation which you may be unaware of. Ask you attorney if a "Hartman formula" can be utilized and whether a "MediCare Set Aside" through CMS is necessary, since it is unclear with your brief facts a whole host of other issues are missing. At first glance, and based on minimal facts, it appears a 72% rating with a $32,000.00 offer is not reasonable but again, I don't have nearly anything close to what I or George need to make better assessments.

Legal disclaimer: Please be advised that the advice provided does not create any attorney/client relationship; that due to the various state laws that the information provided is a general overview of the law, which might not be applicable to you, based upon the laws of your state. We will not file anything on your behalf nor protect any statute of limitations which might arise and recommend that you IMMEDIATELY consult legal counsel for adviceThis response does not constitute or make an attorney-client relationship as it is made for general purposes; answering attorney does not possess enough information to inform recipient of the applicable statute of limitations. You may also contact Mr. Hiden at (619) 296-5884 or by email at ""

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer