Background Checks

Baltimore, MD |

The average job applications requests information about arrests for 7 years past. If the 7 year mark has come and gone, would it be prudent to still include any arrests that may have happend just to be on the safe side of honesty? Part two to the question is if the conviction is a charge of "felony after the fact" and labled a misdemeanor, should felondy or misdemeanor be listed on a job application?

1. As long as you answer the question honestly, do not have to volunteer information beyond what it specifically asks.

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

2. Make sure that you answer the questions honestly and completely. You do not need to provide information that is outside the scope of what is requested, but they may see it when they run the background check.

This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

3. Your job application is governed by all the language therein. Not having seen the entire application, lawyers on this forum are limited in how to respond to your question. As to the second part of your question, you can start by asking your lawyer for the felony after the fact whether it is a misdemeanor or felony. Such a crime does not exist in Mary,and, to my knowledge, so perhaps that was a case in another state. All the best. Jon

None of my comments on AVVO's website constitute legal advice. It is only food for thought for matters to address with a qualified laywer. My website's disclaimer page at http://katzjustice.com/disclaimer.htm applies to all my answers on AVVO.com .