Back state taxes in a diffrent state.

Asked about 5 years ago - Clarksville, TN

i was told i needed to pay back state taxes in a state i no longer reside and at that time was a member of armed forces and a resident of my home state which was not the state i was stationed. how may i get this matter resolved? which state might i want to find a tax att?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Norman Delton McKellar

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My suggestion would be to contact a tax attorney in the state where you allegedly owe state taxes. You should consult with someone who is familiar with that particular state's tax laws, especially since some states (e.g., Tennessee) do not have a state personal income tax. Also, you may want to consult with a military representative to see if they have encountered this issue before and whether they can provide (perhaps free) assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,782 answers this week

2,893 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,782 answers this week

2,893 attorneys answering