Back in march, I ran into an adult chat line which I seem on porn hub, they advertise free calls, it didn't say anout paying.

Asked about 1 year ago - Decatur, IL

All it said was that they offer free phone sex and that they just need a valid debit or credit card to prove I'm old enough that's it! Now I'm being threatened by them because they say I owe $650 and if I don't pay they said its the same as walking out on a restaurant bill. Can I really be taken to court for this or will it be written off to collections? This is ridiculous.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

3

1

Answered . You failed to read the fine print. Services like this, as well as fortune telling, etc. offer a limited time free call in order to draw you in. Call and try to negotiate a settlement. They can try to sue you but they will have to prove you agreed. Your conduct may be sufficient to prove you agreed, depending upon the fine print, since often it is failure to object which indicates agreement to their terms. Read the terms of agreement again. Speak with a consumer rights attorney if you continue to have problems.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

2

Answered . Yes. The devil is in the details and the details are in the fine print and the details there likely are "opt-out" meaning unless you cancel (which they make hard, very hard) you agree to auto-billing to your card. Very foolish of you to get into this foolishness. They now count on your embarrassment to scare you about making this phone-sex contract of yours public by suing you. Contest the charges on your credit card right away, and then if they don't stop see a consumer attorney.

3. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

2

1

Answered . It isn't the same as walking out on a restaurant bill, which is theft, but yes they can sue you over it. As my colleague said, read the information that lead you to believe the call was free (very closely) and consider speaking with a consumer law attorney.