Back ground check for F1 visa? What is the average processing time and will this effect the decision of USCIS?

Danville, CA |

Hi All,

I came to USA on Aug 2011 with L2 visa, due to personal reasons I have moved to B2 visa from Oct 2012 to Mar 2013. I have filed for a F1 visa in Jan 2013 and am waiting for result. I was informed on Apr 25 2013 that USCIS needs to have back ground check and it might take 120 days , but my college starts by May 20 2013.

Will I be able to attend this summer classes? What will be average time for the background check and the case processing time for California Service Center.

Note: I have filed B2 visa with a reason that, I was having an on going family court case at USA , Did this effect my current change of visa status ?

Thanks in advance

There is no defined processing time for background checks. They take however long it takes the government to complete the check and resolve the issues that triggered it.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Recommended articles about Immigration