Back child support Muncie Indiana. Children are emancipated, ages 42 & 32. EX OK to Terminate. Owe State $6000. Unemployed 14 mo

Asked over 1 year ago - Muncie, IN

My EX is happy to terminate and my 2 children don't want any money (I gave her vehicles and paid cash and checks 30 yrs ago, not documented by CSS.) I live in California and CSS has suspended my Driver's License and won't allow Passport Renewal until I pay them off in full $6,000. I am unemployed and can't return to my home out of the country where I can eek out a living at age 61.5 yrs. Would it be possible to make a deal with CSS to pay them, say $1,500 or so in full so I may renew my passport? I was hurt on my job 3 years ago, received a small settlement of $2,700 and cannot gain employment in my field of expertise here in the US, nor am I capable of manual labor. I have tried. My girlfriend has gone into debt supporting me here because she lives outside of the country. Thank You

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Travis Alan Van Winkle


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . It is highly unlikely the Court will compromise its claim. However, you may be able to enter into an agreement to pay the $1,500.00 to have your passport reinstated assuming you maintain other payment terms. If you then fail to make the subsequent payments the support enforcement bureau could again suspend your passport. It may be easier to clean up the arrearage funds owed to your ex, but the state will almost certainly demand payment in full of the funds owed to it.

    Travis A. Van Winkle The Law Office of Travis Van Winkle, LLC does not intend for this response to be construed... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Gail A Balser

Not All Debts are Dischargeable

Not All Debts are Dischargeable Before filing for bankruptcy, it is important for debtors to understand that not all types of debt are eligible for discharge in bankruptcy. These debts... more

    Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

    Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


    Ask now

    25,193 answers this week

    2,976 attorneys answering

    Ask a Lawyer

    Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

    • It's FREE
    • It's easy
    • It's anonymous

    25,193 answers this week

    2,976 attorneys answering