B2 visa holder. Process to extend my legal stay in USA?

Asked 9 months ago - New York, NY

I entered the country with a B2 visitor visa, with the purpose of taking a course related to my Degree. And that was my response when the officer asked the reason of my visit to the US. I was given a stay of 6 months that are due on Feb 8. I would like to do another course in NYU that starts late January. What's the process to extend my stay?

My parents are supporting me and I have credit card and debit card.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to the DSO there.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you have a valid unexpired ten-year visitor visa, then it seems unwise to stay any longer unless you changed your mind and plan to get married to US citizen.

    Those who remain in the United States for extended periods of time on B2 visitor visas may find it best not to return for a year or more. Each time a B2 visa holder tries to enter the United States, the CBP can presume immigrant intent.

    Those who remain in United States for prolonged periods of time, then leave the United States for a brief periods and then return are more likely to have their B2 visa canceled. Therefore, if you planned to study United States, then do so full time and seek and F-1 student visa.

    If this is for a temporary short course, then may be best to consider taking the course over the Internet, rather than in United States. You may also want to look into the possibility of a J1 internship.

    If the B2 visa is canceled, then it is unlikely that you will ever get new nonimmigrant visa, again. Use the visitor visa with care. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Altin Nanaj

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to the International student advisor at the school, or consult an immigration attorney in person asap. Details and personal circumstances are important to properly advise you.

  4. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should sit down with a lawyer and discuss the details in order to determine how you can accomplish what you want without jeopardizing your future ability to visit the U.S. on your current visa. As one colleague has already mentioned, speaking to the DSO (Designated School Official) is a good place to start. Good luck to you.
    The Murray Law Firm
    50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
    Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
    T: (201)875-2600
    W: http://www.MurrayImmigration.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MurrayLawNJ (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MurrayLawNJ

    *IMPORTANT: Do not rely on Attorney Murray's response as the information provided on this website is NOT legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,591 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,591 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering