B1visa-Extension/Is it valid to ask for an extension to stayUSA to support my family in the recovery process of a family member?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

I came to visit my family. My son in-law mother suffered an accident on January, 2013. She was in the hospital in intensive care. He and my daughter are helping to take care of her at her home while she recovers. I will like to support my family during her recovery process, helping my family to watch my granddaughter who is 1 year old, while her parents support her grandmother . I will like to know if it is valid to ask for an extension to stay for those reasons.

1. Ji Min Kim

Pro

3

1

Answered . I agree. You can ask. It is up to the USCIS.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . Yes, but it is still up to USCIS to decide whether to extend the status or not.

3. Shachar S. Malachovsky

3

Answered . You may want to change and extend to a B2 visitor as the B1 is for business meetings. I would urge you to contact an experienced immigration attorney to process this case for you. Also there is no guarantee immigration services will approve your case and you should be aware that it may take 3 months or longer to get a decision so there is a risk that if you get a denial that your time here is counted as out of status. Again consult with an experienced immigration attorney before you file to get the details of your case and get the full picture.

4. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

2

Answered . You probably can ask for a change/extension of status. Meet with an Immigration lawyer in your area to go over your documents and situation.