Average settlement for dog bite in Los Angeles county?

Pico Rivera, CA |

Neighbors German Shepard got out ran acroos the street and bit me on the side. Two puncture wounds and developed a tennis ball sized bruise. Doctor treated me with antibiotics.

1. You have a right to be compensated for your medical treatment (past and future) as well as for the pain and suffering related to your injuries. You also have a right to be compensated for any permanent scars resulting from the dog bite. Take photos of the injury immediately and if you have a permanent scar, you will need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon to assess your options for future care and the cost of that treatment. Make sure a report was filed with Animal Control and speak to an attorney right away. Best of luck!

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

2. The settlement amount, in just about every personal injury case (including yours), really depends on several factors, which include (but, are not limited to) the following: the nature, extent & severity of your injuries; the amount of medical bills & lost wages you have incurred; your age; and, so on. Using such information, your lawyer (that is, assuming that you have hired one to handle your case) should be able to give you some idea of the average settlement amount in a dog bite case, such as yours. However, in the event that you have not hired an attorney to guide you with this matter, then it'd be very wise of you do so (especially since an attorney is much more likely to get you a fair settlement amount than you, by yourself, are).

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

3. There is no average settlement. Each case is different. Talk to a personal injury attorney immediately.

Legal disclaimer: Please be advised that the advice provided does not create any attorney/client relationship; that due to the various state laws that the information provided is a general overview of the law, which might not be applicable to you, based upon the laws of your state. We will not file anything on your behalf nor protect any statute of limitations which might arise and recommend that you IMMEDIATELY consult legal counsel for adviceThis response does not constitute or make an attorney-client relationship as it is made for general purposes; answering attorney does not possess enough information to inform recipient of the applicable statute of limitations. You may also contact Mr. Hiden at (619) 296-5884 or by email at "dhiden@hrollp.com"

4. I live and work in California and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is that it sounds like your case has not been developed enough. Have you seen a plastic surgeon regarding the scars? What have they said? Are they permanent? Regardless, you'll probably get a better settlement with an attorney, some dog bites cases can be worth in excess of $100,000. The attorney you hire can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case and get you a rental if you need one.

You have some great facts, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. You should hire an attorney so you're not bullied around! There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney. With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault in any way); how bad are your injuries to your body ; and of course how high is the at fault person's policy. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled many of these cases in the Pico Rivera area.

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email: Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com; Website: www.KingofPi.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

5. "Average" settlement is not a useful metric for determining the value of any one case. Dog bite cases in particular turn on the unique injuries (emotional, physical, tissue scars, etc.) of the claimant and the strength of the facts that give rise to liability. Only an experienced personal injury attorney, upon consultation and review of all relevant facts and medical records, can provide a reliable opinion.

http://www.johnphillipslaw.com

This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for a review of your specific facts and documents.

6. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Dog attacks can be very scary. I have handled many cases like this in California so I can tell you that it is very difficult to answer your question with a definite number. Every incident is different and many variables can affect your final settlement amount. The one thing I can say for sure is that an experienced accident attorney can dramatically help your claim.

This is especially true in cases like yours where you've been harmed by your neighbors dog. It can sometimes be difficult to obtain insurance information from a stubborn neighbor. An attorney will have the resources to track down this information and negotiate with the insurance company to get you the best settlement possible. Consultations are free, so you have nothing to lose by getting a case evaluation over the phone.

Otherwise it sounds like you have obtained the necessary medical attention. It's important to monitor the bite and if you show any signs of infection, please go for a follow up visit right away. It's also important to call your local animal control and complete an incident report, if you have not done so already. This can help prevent future attacks. If this is the dog's first black mark, most likely scenario is that it will be put on quarantine where the owner must keep it off the streets for a set period of time. Filing an incident report is also crucial for establishing your injury claim.

The information provided here is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Bergener & Associates, PLC is a personal injury practice serving accident victims and their families in the State of California only. No individuals should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any answers to questions without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice from an attorney licensed in their state. Transmission of information via this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between any attorney at Bergener & Associates and any recipient, nor is it intended to do so. The content provided does not create any warranty, express or implied. Hiring a lawyer to represent you is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising. For more personal injury information visit us at http://www.bergenerlaw.com

7. If you are bitten and injured by a dog in California, the owner of the dog is responsible for your damages. Civil Code Section 3342(a) states that "the owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner's knowledge of such viciousness." Usually, a person's homeowner's insurance will cover the damage. You should continue to take care of your injuries appropriately as well as consult an attorney to discuss your case.

Marc Lazarus
    www.russellandlazarus.com
    (800)268-9228

8. make sure you report the matter to animal control, continue with your medical treatment and consult with a PI attorney.

9. Every case is different. Hopefully you have good pictures to document your injuries. You can call our office to speak with an attorney.

Disclaimer The information contained in this answer and Website is provided for general informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter or any particular claim or case. No recipients of content from this answer and site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this answer and site without first seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this answer and Website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, strategy, laws, verdicts or settlements. This Attorney and Firm expressly disclaim all liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this answer, general page and entire Website.

10. Every single case is different and viewed on its own merits both from liability and damages standpoint. However, dog bite laws in CA are generally very favorable towards victim. The real fight is often over injuries and how much is case worth. Be sure and take good pictures, and lots of them. I know with all of my dog bite cases we aim high and you should too.