Automatic termination of alimony

Asked over 1 year ago - New Haven, CT

Upon final dissolution, I was ordered to pay alimony for a set period of time, non-modifiable as to term and extent. The Court order explicitly states that alimony automatically terminates without further order of the Court upon remarriage. My ex-wife appears to have re-married, though she has not been forthcoming with the details. After remarrying, she continued to represent herself as being owed alimony in email and threatened legal action should I not pay. The amount overpaid may be in the high tens of thousands. Her emails and the payments crossed state lines. Were any federal laws broken? Can the government recover the money for me without me having to litigate in family court?

1. Thomas E. McCabe

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can attempt to go through support enforcement in the Court where you were divorced. If they cannot help, I would absolutely bring her back to family court, especially if you have some solid proof she has in fact remarried. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions you may have. Regards, Thomas McCabe

2. Brian S Karpe

Answered . I agree. If she were married in Connecticut, there would have to be a marriage license obtained in the town where the nuptials took place. That is a place to start.

I recommend that you speak to a family law attorney about this. He/she can advise you as to how to proceed, more so than we can on this forum.