Auto accident

Asked over 2 years ago - Akron, OH

I was in an auto accident and we both agreed not to call the police due to no damages and I receiveda letter a week later I am being charged with a hit and run is this legal?

1. Joseph T Ostrowski

6

Answered . Well apparently you both did not have a complete meeting of the minds on the police call. Tough lesson, file a police report.

And get an attorney and you may be able to get this taken care of.

Pro

5

Answered . Yes. I urge everyone to call both the police and their insurance company whenever they are in an accident. Trying to resolve the matter without either is a recipe for disaster.

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer. www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . Regrettably, yes. Unfortunately, you have now learned to always report an accident. That said, it should be resolved with limited collateral damage in court. You need to consult with a local attorney who handles traffic matters. Good luck.

4. Marc Sean Hurd

2

Answered . I would check with a local criminal defense attorney. I'm not admitted in OH (only in CA), but in CA, your obligation is to stop and exchange identification (and if the damage is over $500, to report it to DMV). Thus, to be in violation of the "hit and run" laws in CA, you have to have not stopped and/or not exchanged information. If you can prove that you did stop, did exchange ID info, you should be able to beat that charge. But, as I said, it's best to discuss this with a local attorney; the cost of that could be a lot less than the consequences of the charge.