Skip to main content

Auto accident

East Lansing, MI |

I was recently in a car accident and both parties involved has PLPD. The driver of the other car was not the owner of the vehicle. The driver ran a red blinking light and t- boned the side of my car. He at the scene admitting his fault and since i dont have insurance to cover the repairs and in michigan we have a no fault law for only $500 can i sue the driver for the rest of the damages since he addmitted to being at fault and he stated he would pay ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No. No Fault law require that if each driver has insurance, liability insurance, then each is repsonsible for the damage to his/her own car (with the exception of the $500.00 mini-tort). You can sue the other driver for pain and suffering if you are injured. You can make a claim on your insurance for any wages, medical bills, replacement services, mileage expense and some other stuff if you need them.

However when it comes to your car, IF BOTH DRIVERS HAVE MINIMUM LEGALLY REQUIRED INSURANCE, then you are limited to $500.00


If you only had PLPD, you are limited under Michigan law, to $500 in "Mini-Tort" coverage. In Michigan, a no-fault state, it is very important to insure yourself. Most people buy expensive coverages to protect themselves from being sued when they are at fault. The mistake most people make when they purchase insurance is that they don't purchase enough coverage to protect themselved in situations when they are not at fault. I advise anyone who is reading this to ask their agents (assuming affordibility) for full, non-coordinated PIP coverage, maximum limits Uninsured and Underinsured coverage, and full collision coverage. With the right coverage you will avoid the unfortunate scenario that the East Lansing writer faces.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer