Auto accident - Car owner is refusing my help?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I was at fault for a car accident and did not have insurance at the time. The owner contacted me to pay for the damages by offering to let me bring the car to a shop of my choice. I gave him the info of my relative who owns a car repair shop. This is the only way I wou ld be able to fix the car as I do not have the means to fix the car otherwise and my relative will give me a break on the repair costs. The owner is now refusing to take the car in because he doesnt not want to drive the car that far (it's about 30 minutes away. ) His car is completely drivable, only the bumper needs to be replaced, so that is not the issue. He is now threating me that I must give him a place nearby his house within 48 hours and pay for the damages or else he will pursue further legal action. what do i do?

1. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

8

Answered . Because you have no insurance you have very little leverage. Either the driver or his insurance may attempt to recover from you. You should seriously consider finding a way to pay for repairs at the repair shop of his choice. Don't admit fault to the driver or his insurer.

2. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

5

Answered . Guess you should've had insurance. Without it, you have no choice. He can sue you for the damage. Period. You should cease all communications with him and wait for him to sue you or present you with an estimate. Please get insurance--it's the law!

I gave your contact info to Jayne Schreiber and Marianne Deagle of Loyola Career Services. I've spoken to students there and they want to set up a meet/greet/network event with some of their students and solos I know. No pressure. If you aren't interested, no problem. Just giving you the heads up of they contact you.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    stephen@hofflawyer.com
    www.hofflawyer.com

3. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

4

Answered . You have no choice. If you fail to pay or enter into a repayment agreement, your license will be suspended, indefinitely, in all states. If you have tickets, hire a traffic attorney. Otherwise, save your money to repay your friend.

4. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

5

Answered . Without the benefit of insurance you're going to have a very difficult time with this situation.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

2

Answered . Have a local lawyer negotiate down the amount and get you on a payment plan