Aunt was the executor of grandpas will no copy of will given to me after reqesting one, no probate. doesnt exec. hv to gv copy?

Salem, OR |

(granpaswill)myself my father(dececed)aunt were all left $500.00 equally i asked for copy will. no copy estate worth over $500,000.00

You need to speak with an estate litigation or probate attorney to see where you stand in all this. If the will was probated it is a matter of public record for anyone to see. Get counsel immediately to assert your rights under the will and get a conclusive advice as to where you stand and what can be done.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

I am not sure I understand your summary, fully. If all that you were left is $500, you are not going to want to contact an attorney. If there was no probate, then there was also NO executor. The only time there is an executor is when there is a probate estate open and an executor is appointed by the court.

It is not clear whether there was a trust or if the assets were in joint names or had beneficiary designations. A lawyer can help you get to the bottom of things, but it would not be worth it, if you know you were not left more than $500.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

I agree with Mr. Frederick, if all you were left was $500, then this is not worth litigation. But without a copy of the will, how do you know you were left $500? If there is a no probate estate open, then there's no one to show you the will, and if there is a probate open, then that county courthouse will be where it was filed. You can get more help from an attorney, but without an expectation of more than $500, it might not be a good use of your money.

Licensed in Oregon. Advice provided is general information only and is based solely upon the facts provided. It is not intended as legal advice applicable to any specific situation. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until we have met and entered into a written representation agreement. Contact me at 541-250-0542 to discuss your matter further.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates