Aunt and uncle wishing to gain custody of their niece and nephew.

Asked over 5 years ago - Denver, CO

Currently my in-laws have temporary custody of my niece and nephew. Their mother is into drugs and heavy drinking. She is in an abusive relationship with her current boyfriend who is the father of the new baby that she does not have custody of. My in-laws also smoke pot and the live in horrible living conditions, their house is a disaster. We had both kids living with us for 8 weeks back in 2007 and we provided full support to them. Their biological father is not really in the picture and I can guarantee he would rather see them living with us too. Please, we are these kids only chance. I am hoping for some free advice to see if I even have a shot before hiring an attorney.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Culver Winston Van Der Jagt


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If the chidlren are being "neglected" you may need to call child protective services or the Department of Human Services, especially if there is an "incident" (driving while intoxicated, overly intoxicated while with the children, etc.). They might give you the children temporarily, but over time, the parents should be able to earn time back with their children provided they test negative for drugs and behave themselves. You do need some representation in this one - at least to get your case organized.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,464 answers this week

3,334 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,464 answers this week

3,334 attorneys answering