Audio recording of a conversation under WA state law, RCW 9.73.030 consent to recording communication

Asked over 6 years ago - Washington

is that legal to audio recording my conversation to the policeman face to face in the public place in state Washington?

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Answered . You can read RCW 9.73.030 (Intercepting, recording, or divulging private communication – Consent required – Exceptions) to see what you propose to do is governed by the statute. The statutes can be accessed here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.73 .

You can read the opinion of the WA Supreme Court in STATE v. TOWNSEND, 147 Wn.2d 666, 57 P.3d 255 (2002):

The subjective intention of the parties to the communication is among the factors that the court may consider in determining if a communication is private. A court may also consider other factors bearing on the reasonableness of the participants' expectations, such as the duration and subject matter of the communication; the location of the communication and the presence of potential third parties; and the role of the nonconsenting party and his or her relationship to the consenting party.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . I believe Washington like Illinois and California's laws prohibits the recording of "confidential communications" unless all parties to the conversation consent.

See my Legal Guide Recording Conversations in Illinois

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/recording-...

You need a lawyer because I do not practice in WA (I am in Chicago, IL). Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details. I agree with the observations of Mr. Thuong-Tri Nguyen.

Good luck to you.

Again, check with a lawyer in your locale.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.