Atty failed to honor his contract. I informed him I would seek arbitration through Bar (CA), but willing to settle. Extortion?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

I believe he did not perform/honor the "legal services to be provided" portion of his contract. I would agree to less than what I've paid him to avoid arbitration. He says this is extortion.

1. Theodore Michael Hankin

Pro

3

Answered . The law provides for fee arbitration if there is a billing dispute. The fee arbitration is mandatory on the attorney if the client requests it. The arbitration can be binding or non-binding.
    That the attorney "feels" it is extortion is irrelevant. Whether you are right to withhold a portion or all of the fee is up to the fee arbitrators, unless the two of you settle.

2. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . What you describe is not "extortion". You have a right to fee arbitration and you have a right to offer a lesser amount that the fee demanded.

3. Dana Howard Shultz

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. David Allen Hiersekorn

Answered . If you threaten to report him to the Bar unless he lowers your bill, that would be extortion.

What you described here is not extortion. However, it might not be terribly effective to try to negotiate if the attorney isn't interested in lowering his bill. Your choices are to pay the full amount, arbitrate or sue for breach of contract.

Negotiation only works when both sides are interested. It doesn't appear that is the case here. Good luck!