Atty failed to honor his contract. I informed him I would seek arbitration through Bar (CA), but willing to settle. Extortion?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

I believe he did not perform/honor the "legal services to be provided" portion of his contract. I would agree to less than what I've paid him to avoid arbitration. He says this is extortion.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Theodore Michael Hankin


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The law provides for fee arbitration if there is a billing dispute. The fee arbitration is mandatory on the attorney if the client requests it. The arbitration can be binding or non-binding.
    That the attorney "feels" it is extortion is irrelevant. Whether you are right to withhold a portion or all of the fee is up to the fee arbitrators, unless the two of you settle.

  2. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What you describe is not "extortion". You have a right to fee arbitration and you have a right to offer a lesser amount that the fee demanded.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  3. Dana Howard Shultz

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. David Allen Hiersekorn

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If you threaten to report him to the Bar unless he lowers your bill, that would be extortion.

    What you described here is not extortion. However, it might not be terribly effective to try to negotiate if the attorney isn't interested in lowering his bill. Your choices are to pay the full amount, arbitrate or sue for breach of contract.

    Negotiation only works when both sides are interested. It doesn't appear that is the case here. Good luck!

    This is legal information only and not meant to provide legal advice. Many issues that seem straightforward at... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,923 answers this week

2,631 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,923 answers this week

2,631 attorneys answering