Attorneys fees awards in family law

Thousand Oaks, CA |

why would a judge continue a case 4 different times and not rule on attorneys fees from day 1 when one party has no income and the disparity between the two is huge? this judge has now
stated enough wasted time for the courts. and plans on issuing a judgement in 2 weeks. What most likely is the reason? The judge has allowed both attorneys to submit briefs 1 week prior to the judgement

1. Sounds like two attorneys are involved. You may to talk to yours... Just because there is an income discreancy does not mean feesare awarded. If there are briefs then the judge thinks it is an issue.

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

2. Obviously there is more to your situation than just a discrepancy in income. Income is not the only factor is assessing fees. I would suspect reading your soon to be ex spouses brief and your attorney's brief will answer your question as to why it's not so clear to the judge.

3. I have practiced Family law for over 38 years and the two attorneys advised you correctly. Read the briefs and try to see the reasons from a neutral vantage point, many divorces involve emotions which cloud judgment of the parties involved.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.