ATTORNEYS DON'T LIKE.....

Attorney's really don't want to take a case after a Pro Se has well started their case, is this across the board?

Fairfield, OH -

Daniel James Myers

Daniel James Myers

Litigation Lawyer - Cleveland, OH

It will depend on the case and situation you are in. Generally when someone first tries to do the work on their own, they miss some critical details that only an attorney would notice. That could destroy your chances of winning your case, even if you were totally wronged and deserved to be compensated. Some mistakes are impossible to come back from and change later, so Attorneys will be hesitant in some cases to take a case that someone else began pro se. I could be the best attorney in the world, and the case could be the best, most open and shut case in the world, but if a pro se party made too many mistakes before contacting an attorney, no amount of work that I do can help. If you can afford an attorney, it is a good idea to talk to one first.

Jann Collette Washington

Jann Collette Washington

Bankruptcy Attorney - Cleveland, OH

I agree with attorney Myers, each case is different and each pro se defendant is different. I've seen some pro se defendants who are better prepared then attorneys.

Kyle J Bristow

Kyle J Bristow

Litigation Lawyer - Clarkston, MI

Depends on the case, how much the pro se litigant messed things up, and what the pro se litigant is willing to pay the lawyer to fix things.

I heard from one attorney that his client--who was pro se at the beginning of the case--had a counterclaim filed against him for "blasphemy"--which isn't a valid cause of action--by the other pro se litigant. (The counterclaim/answer was also hand-written and "blasphemy" was spelled with an "f".) Non-lawyers often mess up, and by the time lawyers become involved, their clients' cases can be substantially ruined.

The criminal pro se litigants are the worst--especially once they start making party admissions and admit elements of the offense(s) for which they have been charged.

If you care about your case, it is prudent to hire a lawyer.

Related Advice