Attorney's legal assistant told me keep checking spouses emails while in divorce , how do I protect self discovered not ethical

Roseburg, OR |

I told her I saw in emails disturbing things and reported, in beginning of seperation. I asked if should keep checking to see what else he was up to, she said, yes, and suggested I send them an email and give copy of his behaviors to them. I was told since I was given the passwords , and regularly accessed his having permission. my lawyer even acted and wrote a letter as result of one access to stop liquidation fo assets. I asked if it was ok to do this, they said yes. I haven't had access in a while and passwords were changed. I have new lawyer, and was told it wasn't a good idea.

What do I do now? I submited to court copies of the emails not knowing that it wasn't so ethical, as my first attorney's office encouraged it. I trusted that they assured it was ok.
How can I protect myself

I think this may possibly be a duplicate thread. A similar question was just asked, and answered, here:

My advice is the same: carefully document all of your old lawyer's advice to you. If this advice was all verbal, it may be good to write to them saying something like "per your advice, I did this."

All Oregon attorneys carry malpractice liability insurance through the Oregon State Bar's Professional Liability Fund. If you suffer a financial consequence as a result of an attorney's malpractice, then you can make a claim to them for compensation, or they may be able to hire a new lawyer to fix the problem. Not all bad advice is necessarily malpractice, so not every mistake a lawyer makes will be covered. But if you have a new lawyer helping you, who you trust more than the old one, you can discuss this prospect with them.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Recommended articles about Personal injury