Skip to main content

Attorney no longer with the law office

Minneapolis, MN |

I just recieved a letter from the law office my attorney has been associated with informing me she is no longer with the company.The letter said i can continue with the law firm or seek other representation. I gave them my retainer back in june until now they have spent over 2000 of it. Included in that is the ICMC and maybe 2 hours of meeting with them. the rest is all emails so i'd estimate 1500+ in just email fees is this typical? i feel no progress has been made in my case which was started back in may besides the ICMC we did have a mediation date aug. 8 but it got changed to Oct. 10. Should i stay with the company or seek other representaion. I feel i was not represented well with this office as no progress has been made. Is there something as misrepresentation so youd get a refund

of work preformed. I understand if i were to leave id get the remained of the retainer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hello. Your post appears to be a duplicate with dates changed by a couple days. Please see the prior response.

Twin Cities & St. Cloud, Minnesota licensed attorney, Tricia Dwyer, Esq.: Phone 612-296-9666, CHILD CUSTODY & PARENTING TIME LAW, PARENTING TIME EXPEDITOR, FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE LAW, DIVORCE MEDIATOR, FAMILY LAW MEDIATOR, POST-DIVORCE LAW, Rule 114 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 - EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily.


Your retainer agreement addresses the charges you may expect. Certainly attorneys will charge to review and draft email correspondence. Whether you stay with the law firm would depend on how you feel. You should certainly meet with and discuss your concerns with the attorney who would be handling your case.

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at


Review your engagement letter/fee agreement to determine how they should be charging. Check your invoices as well, ideally they should included itemized descriptions of what they've done for you so far. It's likely they've done more than just exchange a bunch of emails and represent you at the ICMC. Ultimately, you can always contact them directly and talk to them about it as well.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.


Let's be clear here - a client can, at any time, termination their attorney's representation of them. That's without question. If you feel they aren't doing a good job, then you should probably look elsewhere. But, there are some other considerations here. First, as any attorney can tell you, there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that clients don't see. This work gets billed. Second, contested family cases take a LONG time and are very expensive to begin with. You don't mention what hourly rate you're being charged, but it is very easy to spend $2k on a family case. For example, if you're already filing an ICMC, that means the case has been filed with the court. $400+ went to the filing fee alone. Several hours of meetings, attending the ICMC hearing, preparation of all the paperwork, reading and writing emails, etc. - it all adds up. If you're paying, let's say $250/hour (which in the cities is low), it would only take 6 hours to burn up $2k once the filing fee has been paid, esp. depending on how the time is computed - many firms bill in 0.25 hourly increments (which I think is nonsense, but that's up to them). Therefore, if they spend 5 minutes on something, you're billed for 15 minutes. Clients often don't realize that all those phone calls to "ask a question," all the emails, all the updates they provide - it all costs money. So, I'd be very careful in claiming there has been some kind of "misrepresentation" going on - look at your bill carefully, it should explain every charge.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer