Attorney no longer with the law office

Asked 11 months ago - Minneapolis, MN

I just recieved a letter from the law office my attorney has been associated with informing me she is no longer with the company.The letter said i can continue with the law firm or seek other representation. I gave them my retainer back in june until now they have spent over 2000 of it. Included in that is the ICMC and maybe 2 hours of meeting with them. the rest is all emails so i'd estimate 1500+ in just email fees is this typical? i feel no progress has been made in my case which was started back in may besides the ICMC we did have a mediation date aug. 8 but it got changed to Oct. 10. Should i stay with the company or seek other representaion. I feel i was not represented well with this office as no progress has been made. Is there something as misrepresentation so youd get a refund

of work preformed. I understand if i were to leave id get the remained of the retainer.

1. Maury Devereau Beaulier

2

Answered . Your retainer agreement addresses the charges you may expect. Certainly attorneys will charge to review and draft email correspondence. Whether you stay with the law firm would depend on how you feel. You should certainly meet with and discuss your concerns with the attorney who would be handling your case.

2. Tricia Dwyer

1

Answered . Hello. Your post appears to be a duplicate with dates changed by a couple days. Please see the prior response.

3. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

1

Answered . Review your engagement letter/fee agreement to determine how they should be charging. Check your invoices as well, ideally they should included itemized descriptions of what they've done for you so far. It's likely they've done more than just exchange a bunch of emails and represent you at the ICMC. Ultimately, you can always contact them directly and talk to them about it as well.

4. Michael J Corbin

1

Answered . Let's be clear here - a client can, at any time, termination their attorney's representation of them. That's without question. If you feel they aren't doing a good job, then you should probably look elsewhere. But, there are some other considerations here. First, as any attorney can tell you, there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that clients don't see. This work gets billed. Second, contested family cases take a LONG time and are very expensive to begin with. You don't mention what hourly rate you're being charged, but it is very easy to spend $2k on a family case. For example, if you're already filing an ICMC, that means the case has been filed with the court. $400+ went to the filing fee alone. Several hours of meetings, attending the ICMC hearing, preparation of all the paperwork, reading and writing emails, etc. - it all adds up. If you're paying, let's say $250/hour (which in the cities is low), it would only take 6 hours to burn up $2k once the filing fee has been paid, esp. depending on how the time is computed - many firms bill in 0.25 hourly increments (which I think is nonsense, but that's up to them). Therefore, if they spend 5 minutes on something, you're billed for 15 minutes. Clients often don't realize that all those phone calls to "ask a question," all the emails, all the updates they provide - it all costs money. So, I'd be very careful in claiming there has been some kind of "misrepresentation" going on - look at your bill carefully, it should explain every charge.