Attorney never provided service. Skipped town. How to get my money back?

Asked about 3 years ago - Ravenna, OH

Gave 1400.00 payment towards 1944.00 cost plus filing fees for a chapter 7. When I showed up to pay balance, building was empty and up for sale. Kept calling office phone, fellow answered to say atty ill, quit his practice and moved out of state. I asked where I could reach, kept saying he was sick; refused to tell me. Sent letter to office address, was returned to me, unable to deliver. Searching the internet I believe I have located in FL. Who do I contact to attempt to get my money back? He never provided a service beyond a "free" initial consultation, however took my cash. I feel strongly that I worked hard to raise the money to pay him, he never provided a service and I deserve to get my money back. What to do? I would appreciate any advice you may offer.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Try the OH State Bar, linked below. They have a complaint procedure for their members, and maybe they offer restitution to clients who have their money stolen by lawyers. CA has that, maybe OH does too.

    PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,898 answers this week

3,140 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,898 answers this week

3,140 attorneys answering