Attorney never provided service. Skipped town. How to get my money back?

Ravenna, OH |

Gave 1400.00 payment towards 1944.00 cost plus filing fees for a chapter 7. When I showed up to pay balance, building was empty and up for sale. Kept calling office phone, fellow answered to say atty ill, quit his practice and moved out of state. I asked where I could reach, kept saying he was sick; refused to tell me. Sent letter to office address, was returned to me, unable to deliver. Searching the internet I believe I have located in FL. Who do I contact to attempt to get my money back? He never provided a service beyond a "free" initial consultation, however took my cash. I feel strongly that I worked hard to raise the money to pay him, he never provided a service and I deserve to get my money back. What to do? I would appreciate any advice you may offer.

Try the OH State Bar, linked below. They have a complaint procedure for their members, and maybe they offer restitution to clients who have their money stolen by lawyers. CA has that, maybe OH does too.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Thank you for your reply. I contacted the local bar association, to no avail. I will try the state of Ohio.