Attorney made oral agreement to work case for flat fee, I paid upfront, then he sent an additional bill without discussing it.

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I had a hearing with a city attorney officer and so hired a private defense attorney. He told me me his rate, but said the case was simple and shouldn't take him more than 10 hours, and told me "I can make this go away for $X." He did not expressly promise not to charge more. This was all a phonecall.

I paid $X in full before he began working on the case. I paid with a check and wrote "retainer" in the memo. Never any written agreement.

So my hearing came, my attorney went with me and told my side, and the hearing officer said the case against me is closed. My attorney said I would receive a letter from the city attorney, but that hasn't arrived yet. What has arrived is a bill from my attorney asking for another $1000 for an extra 2 hours of work.

How should I respond to this bill?

1. Scott Richard Kaufman

Pro

10

1

Answered . Any representation agreement for over $1,000.00 needs to be in writing. If the additional 2 hours was $1,000.00, then one can presume the initial 10 hours was for more and therefore, this attorney has violated state bar rules and should consider him/her self lucky for getting the initial fee without a hassle.

2. Michael Charles Doland

8

1

Answered . You should have received a written retainer agreement under State Bar rules. If the matter is over and this is the final bill you should tell him you are not paying any more and if he insists that you will insist on state bar arbitration.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

7

Answered . Without knowing the exact terms of the orally agreed work by that retained attorney, without knowing with exactitude what legal work that professional performed, without knowing what additional fees, fines, restitution and such were supposed to be tendered for the case completion, it is impossible to take sides and advise you how to respond to the bill.
    You may contact the attorney and address these above points specifically, be polite, respectful and reasonable. I am certain that could be resolved in a mutually amicable fashion provided both parties approach the matter constructively.

4. Robert C. LeBrasseur

6

Answered . You should consult the State bar.