Attorney fees & Costs

San Jose, CA |

We have recently settled a personal injury lawsuit at MSC.

I was later shocked to find out about the costs incurred for this case. Despite my continuous requests , my attornies never provided the ongoing costs statements saying that they are working on contingent fee and they have right to spend what is right for the case.

Now after the attorney fees and costs we are literally left with nothing. We feel cheated. MSC Judge doesn't want to get involved.

What should I do? Is there any service available who can verify the costs if they are genuine or not?

If the costs weren't provided to you, contact the disciplinary board. My firm doesn't take a penny of costs out of the clients' portions, as we don't feel that it is morally right. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Ask the atty to show documentation of the costs. Normally the atty informs the client of the approximate amount of costs, upon request, or periodically, particularly if they are other than nominal, and when you are either engaging in or planning negotiations such as mediation or settlement conference. I always talk to my clients about fees, costs, liens, etc before we settle a case, so they will know about how much they may end up with if they settle. I know of no service and anyone you would hire would cost you money. The costs of litigation can be high especially by the time you get to the MSC. Experts have been paid possibly non refundable fees, exhibits, pre trial depositions, investigation, etc. The costs of trying a case have risen. makes uneconomical in many cases.

As my colleagues stated, you should ask for a statement of fees immediately.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

You are entitled to a breakdown of costs. But they ate entitled to be reimbursed those advanced expenses. Are there certain expenses that look fishy?

Recommended articles about Personal injury