Attorney fee clause in an expired lease

My 1 year lease has the attorney fee clause it it. But the lease expired 4 months ago, and I am now renting on a month to month basis. I did not sign a new contract. In the unlawful detainer complaint that I received, the landlord is asking for legal fees. Is this possible?

Irvine, CA -

Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

Litigation Lawyer - Costa Mesa, CA

Yes it is possible that the agreement stated that after the term it becomes month to month with all other clauses still valid. It is hard to answer your question without seeing the contract

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Real Estate Attorney - Sherman Oaks, CA

Residential lease agreements become month-to-month rental agreements at the expiration of the term. Still, the terms of the lease govern so long as the tenant remains in possession and the terms have not been modified. So, yes, it is not only possible but probable that the landlord will be entitled to reasonable attorney's fees if the landlord prevails.

Douglas Allen Wright

Douglas Allen Wright

Real Estate Attorney - Irvine, CA

Yes. The attorneys' fees clause is still valid.

Richard C Koman

Richard C Koman

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Santa Rosa, CA

absolutely. the terms of the lease apply to the subsequent month to month tenancy