Attorney fee clause in an expired lease

Irvine, CA |

My 1 year lease has the attorney fee clause it it. But the lease expired 4 months ago, and I am now renting on a month to month basis. I did not sign a new contract.

In the unlawful detainer complaint that I received, the landlord is asking for legal fees. Is this possible?

Yes it is possible that the agreement stated that after the term it becomes month to month with all other clauses still valid. It is hard to answer your question without seeing the contract

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

Residential lease agreements become month-to-month rental agreements at the expiration of the term. Still, the terms of the lease govern so long as the tenant remains in possession and the terms have not been modified. So, yes, it is not only possible but probable that the landlord will be entitled to reasonable attorney's fees if the landlord prevails.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Yes. The attorneys' fees clause is still valid.

Douglas A. Wright is a licensed California attorney (SBN 239112) who owns and operates The information presented in this response is general in nature under California law and is not intended, nor should be construed as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. Furthermore, if you're a tenant and your landlord hires me to evict you, you expressly waive any conflict of interest based on any response provided herein. For specific advice about your particular situation, you should consult your own attorney.

absolutely. the terms of the lease apply to the subsequent month to month tenancy

Responses to Avvo questions are based on a general discussion of the law and in no way constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created, and you should not take or fail to take actions based on my answers. Consult an attorney in your area. Time is often of the essence. Act quickly!

Recommended articles about Real estate