Attorney fee clause in an expired lease

Asked over 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

My 1 year lease has the attorney fee clause it it. But the lease expired 4 months ago, and I am now renting on a month to month basis. I did not sign a new contract.

In the unlawful detainer complaint that I received, the landlord is asking for legal fees. Is this possible?

1. Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

4

Answered . Yes it is possible that the agreement stated that after the term it becomes month to month with all other clauses still valid. It is hard to answer your question without seeing the contract

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

Answered . Residential lease agreements become month-to-month rental agreements at the expiration of the term. Still, the terms of the lease govern so long as the tenant remains in possession and the terms have not been modified. So, yes, it is not only possible but probable that the landlord will be entitled to reasonable attorney's fees if the landlord prevails.

3. Douglas Allen Wright

2

Answered . Yes. The attorneys' fees clause is still valid.

4. Richard C Koman

Answered . absolutely. the terms of the lease apply to the subsequent month to month tenancy