Attorney code of ethics

Bartlett, TN |

Are attorneys suppose to report other attorneys they know have either broke laws or have broken an attorneys code of ethics such as illegal drug use, not divulging conflicts of interest, affairs with other attorneys, judges, or court officers, etc.

1. The answer is, generally yes. Attorneys are required to report to the Board of Professional Responsibilty any ethical violations they become aware of. Illegal drug use may or may not be an ethical violation despite being against the law. However, if an attorney is having an affair with a judge or lawyer that is involved in the same case, that could be an ethical violation. Conflicts of interests should be reported. If you have such information, you may report it to the Board of Professional Responsibility.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

2. If an attorney sees another attorney violating an ethical rule, yes that attorney is required to report him. Not everything is a violation of an ethical rule though. For example, while a speeding ticket is technically a crime, no one is required to report an attorney to the ethics board for that.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

3. The first two lawyers who answered gave you the "correct" answer. As a practical matter lawyers don't like to make enemies of other lawyers and even aside from that, it would be extremely embarrassing to report another lawyer to the bar and then find out that your information was faulty. So, I am sure a lot of misconduct is not reported to the state bar.