Attorney-Client Privilege

Asked 7 months ago - Houston, TX

My girlfriend was fired from the place where we both work. I was attempting to find representation for her in my own time using a non-work email. A lawyer said no to the request, and then sent the email to my employer, who then fired me. I thought that even through email that this was confidential.

Is this a break of attorney-client even though I was seeking representation for another? Does this email, going to our former mutual employer, violate any of our rights?

1. Zaheer A Shah

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . It's best to gain clarity on a potential breach by contacting the TX bar.

2. Mark Allen Land

1

1

Answered . Call the State Bar of Texas or submit an online complaint.

3. Anthony Bettencourt Cameron

1

1

Answered . Some States have adopted a specific "intake" privilege. State Bar of Texas would probably be able to tell you whether they have.

More info would be needed regarding the capacity of the attorney viz. the employer and the warnings given by the attorney to you at the time.

While I do not think you are trying to mislead here, I feel there is an important piece of information missing in this scenario.