Attorney - Client Confidential

Asked 7 months ago - Newark, NJ

Can an attorney divulge confidential information about you or your case to an opposing party after he/she is no longer representing you (fired)?

1. William J Popovich

4

Answered . No, with some exceptions.
    If you are suing the lawyer or he is suing you for malpractice or payment, there can be disclosure to the extent that it is required to resolve the issue.
    If the lawyer knows you are going to commit a crime that involves serious damage to life and limb, or similar consequences, he has to divulge it.
    If you give permission, he can divulge it.
    If he has physical evidence and knows it, he can't hide it.
    Otherwise, even lawyers you consult before hiring cannot reveal any information pertinent to your confidential conversations.
    Before you think about suing for this, remember, you must have damages as a prerequisite.

2. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the answer of my distinguished colleague.